We all know how great massage feels, but what can you do after a massage to continue reaping the benefits?
Getting a massage is a time to relax and forget about all the responsibilities of everyday life. It helps both our physical and mental state of well-being. Massage can help with specific conditions but also provides a feeling of comfort and care. As human beings, the power of touch is a necessity.
If you are a believer in getting regular massage and know what it can do for you, you would likely be interested in knowing some things you can do after your massage to maintain and even increase the benefits. We have many clients ask what self care can be done at home to reduce their pain and/or lower their stress levels.
Here are some helpful suggestions on self care you can do after you get a massage
- Drinking plenty of water after a massage is extremely helpful and important. During a massage our muscles release toxins into the body. Drinking water will help flush out those toxins which then get released through the kidneys. If you think about your last massage, you will probably remember the need to go to the bathroom after the session. Massage gets things moving and that is exactly why replenishing our bodies with water not only prevents dehydration but gets rid of all those unwanted toxins.
- A great practice to get into after a massage is to take an epsom salt bath. If your like most people, you probably
- got a massage to either relax or reduce some kind of pain or tension you were feeling. Epsom salt (aka: magnesium sulfate) helps prevent and relieve muscle soreness. When taking an epsom salt bath, the magnesium gets absorbed into the body through the skin. Magnesium sulfate is important for many systems in the body, especially the muscular and nervous system. And it increases water in the intestines which also helps draw out the toxins. Again…..water! Our bodies crave it and mostly important need plenty of it. You can find epsom salt at any drug store or grocery store. Just add 2 heaping cups of the salt to a warm bath and enjoy….. Here is a little more information on the benefits of epsom salt
- Stretching is always great for the body. This is a routine you want to get into on a daily basis if even for just a few minutes. Stretching helps muscles resume their normal shape, which will help increase flexibility and improve posture. Check out a few stretches here
- There are also many self massage tools you can find online for at home use including back rollers and hand held massage tools. These are great to use in between your regular massage appointments.
Having a regular schedule of massage and at home self care practices can have an enormous impact on how great your body can feel!